Aloha!

My name is Jordan and I am a local plant enthusiast from Hawaii. I hope to own my own nursery one day. I specialize in hibiscus hybrids though I enjoy working with many different types of plants. I am constantly learning new things and improving my skills but for now, i'm just a college student working my way up in paradise. On this blog I will take you on a virtual tour of my garden and hopefully change the way you think of plants forever!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Rain, Rain Go Away!

Hey!
Recently Hawaii's been hit with some bad weather. Between high speed winds, and heavy rain the garden has definitely taken a big hit. I lost a bunch of seedlings, and many of my younger hybrids suffered some damage. Luckily Hibiscus are persistant plants. They will recover and be twice as vogrous as before.

Unfortunately a few days ago, I noticed a small amount of snow scale on a few of my hybrids. Snow scale is a pest that is hard to deal with for a few reasons. This pest lives on the bark of the hibiscus and looks like a bunch of white specs. They survive by sucking nutrients from the plants stem, and multiply rather quickly. They can easily multiply and become a severe infestation. Snow scales are particularly problematic because of their hard outter shell. This prevents pesticides from reaching the scale itself, therefore pesticides like Bayer 3-in-1 are ineffective. Many people will recommend a horticulture oil. This solution is effective, but also has some flaws. Horticulture oil if not applied via sprayer, will need to be applied to the bark manually using a sort of brush. Multiple applications may also be necessary in order to control the scales. I personally use Bayer Tree & Shrub, which is a systematic insecticide. Systematic insecticides are diluted and applied directly to the roots of the plants via watering. I prefer this because the effects of the insecticide lasts for about a year, and it's also a slow realease fertilizer. The downside to using Bayer Tree & Shrub is that it can only be used on ornamental plants. If you plan to harvest anything from your plants, I suggest the horticulture oil.

Thanks for reading, hopefully this stuff is useful to somebody besides myself. The blog is still under major construction, but I hope to have it looking amazing very soon!!

~Pic of the day~


No comments:

Post a Comment